Friday, February 1, 2019

1st Grade: The Kissing Hand

I don't think it gets much sweeter than this.  The Kissing Hand, a book near and dear to my heart.  A book that I had to use and kisses that I had to give to my own son to calm his own fears in preschool and even in the start of Kinder.

When I read the book to the 1st graders, most had already heard this story before, some of them had heard it many times before, but still they sat quietly and seemed to still be completely captivated by this story.



After the story, we talked about the colors that were used a lot in this book (besides black and white)....blue, yellow, and red (the primaries).  We spent some time discussing what primary colors were and what made them special (a review from what they learned last year).  In our Valentine's day project this year, we were only going to use the primary colors + black and white.

We drew, we painted, we used crayon rubbings, oil pastels, and sharpies....and I have to say, I think that each one of them is going to end up melting your heart.

I asked the students if any of them would adopt me, just so that I could keep their beautiful artworks. While many offered, I know that none of them would be parting with these precious artworks anytime soon.  They are very proud of them and very excited to be bringing them home in the near future.





No comments: